Opened in 1936 with the first ever screening of the phenomenal Armenian-Soviet film Pepo, accompanied by Aram Khachaturian’s music, the Moscow Cinema stays one of the fadeless jewels of Armenian film culture. The building, now able to fit almost one thousand spectators, is located at the Charles Aznavour Square. It was erected on a place of former Saint Paul and Peter Church, a monument built in the 6th century and disastrously demolished by then-Soviet authorities. After decades of program curated by political committees, the Moscow Cinema is now in charge of its own agenda, presenting the world’s best films. Throughout the year, various events and festivals are being held at the cinema, including the International Film Festival Golden Apricot.
More at: moscowcinema.com/en/